Saturday, December 09, 2006

WFH

So...for guys who drag their asses to work everyday, WFH means working-from-home. For the wise asses who WFH when they are too lazy to show up at work - how do you sleep at night? :)

As ridiculous as it might sound, WFH is the mostly commonly used lame ass excuse for not showing up at work, second only to dog-ate-my-homework. So last week, Chicago got hit by a snow storm and I couldn't make it to work. Well, I didn't want to use my vacation and it was officially a very working day, I said I am going to work from home. So I sent off an email to by boss saying I am WFH.

Ok...now that it's settled I figured I should move on with the day's tasks. First things first, switch on TV. My wife who had to work from home too gives me a stare that really says "u gotto be kidding me". So I flip through the channels. Ok, Monty, Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, Judge Hachet. Hmm...Five minutes into that I wanted to run for the door and somehow make it to work. Daytime TV is the single motivation factor you need to show up at work everyday. But I decided to improvise instead. PS2. Oh yeah, never lets me down. Now my wife is shaking her head in total disbelief.
9:15am - Madden 05 Green Bay packers vs San Diego Chargers!
9:30am - I am losing...
9:45am - I tied it in the 3rd quarter
9:55am - lost the game, threw away the controller in disappointment.

Hmm...well, maybe I should work. So like everyone, I start my day's work by opening my inbox. Oooh, we got some interesting emails. Responding to emails gives a feeling that you are actually working so it is pretty gratifying. Ok, that's done.

Next...well, let's see what going on around the world. But before that, let me get some coffee.
10:35am - Good coffee.
10:42am - Need some more.
10:50am - Some more emails. Mostly, single-line insignificant responses to my emails. "Thanks." "Welcome" "Get lost" "lol". I mean really a whole email for lol? No, I do not care if you laughed out loud.

11am - I am hungry.
My wife by now has tuned herself out of my madness and working hard. She said I was the worst WFH ever. Fine...
11:15am - Done eating leftover pizza. Now I am hungry for revenge.
Madden Madden 05 Green Bay packers vs San Diego Chargers REMATCH!
11:45am - Victory can't taste better! Gotto love Brett Favre!

12:00pm - Oooh, nearing lunch time. Yes, the pizza was breakfast really.

My wife after working hard since 9am wanted to go out for lunch. They had kinda cleared the snow by then so I figured it might be a good change of "pace". But I was determined to actually do some work once I got back.

2:00pm - back home after Japanese lunch. The roads are so F****** up!

2:15pm - Email, news...
2:30pm - TV is on. Is that Oprah? Did she lose weight? Whatever...5 mins into that I am on the couch like Homer Simpson. I get violently woken up by a projectile thrown with great anger and strong determination. It was a cushion thrown by my wife to stop my snoring. How long was I out?
3:30pm - That's it. I cannot do it anymore. Sent an email "hey guys, I am signing off early. Have a great weekend". Yes, it was friday.

Later that evening, I felt bad...really bad. I am usually a hard working guy but what I went through that day without actually doing anything productive. So I learned my lesson. WFH is not for me...for sure! My wife agreed instantly...

So now when I see a WFH email from someone I am thinking...yeah rite!

1 comment:

kautilya said...

dude, good to know you blog too..
i happened to come to ur blog by chance...
will keep visiting u on ur blog now..:)

i haven't posted much of late.. need to reactivate my blog again..