Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Faith...

I just started reading "End of Faith" by Sam Harris. A very bold book which says how Faith is going to lead to our self-destruction. Yeah, I was not kidding when I said it was bold.

It is some heavy reading but quite intriguing. Usually, when I read a book I am looking for that one thing which can capture my attention and make me think. So when I start reading a book I am just reading along initially, just like eating pop corn. But then something comes up that intrigues me or amuses me. Get that sudden rush of blood. Bang...now I am really into it.

So this book, well I start reading and he is making some bold statements but yeah OK. I still just read along. And then I came upon the attention grabber. So he says what if the whole world woke up one morning and nobody remembers anything. Not a thing. Read, write, drive cars..everything. Well, what would man try to learn first? What is of relevance now? Well, once we figure out how to grow stuff and eat we would start reading books. Which book would you turn to? The religious ones? Or the ones that tells how you can fix and run the machines. If they were to rearrange the library then, where would the religious books go? Interesting....yes, think.

I am not an atheist, in fact far from it. I believe in god and I am glad I believe in Him because to me that makes a big difference. We live in a world full of uncertainties. There are no guarantees in life. And I want to believe that there is a greater power looking over me who is beyond these uncertainties, beyond the worldly limits. I need that faith. I need that belief. Is it because I feel insecure. Maybe..maybe not. But I draw some strength from that belief. That faith helps me through tough times.

I still have most of the book left to read so let's see how it goes.

No comments: