Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The moron, the jackass and Patriotism!

Several years ago when I was in college I participated in a competition where you had to talk nonstop for 3 minutes (I forget what the name of this contest was). The topic I got out of the hat was patriotism. I took the rule to heart and spoke non-stop for 3 minutes. The jackass who followed me twisted the rule and spoke so slowly that he didn't need a break at all. I still won't forget the jackass's talk...ugh...I could throw up. The moron who judged us scored the jackass higher and he won. I didn't even make the top 5 which is bad consider only 7 students tried out and one didn't even try. So in all statistical truth I finished last. I was never good at contest anyway...

Now that I have vented about the moron, the jackass and my failed attempt I will move on with my blog.

I do not remember a lot about what I spoke that day. Mostly gibberish since I never really had the time to prepare and had to talk without a break. However, I remember the first two sentences. "What is Patriotism? Does it mean carrying the flag and staging protests? Does it mean standing in the rain and yelling out 'I love India'?" Funny how I started and I am reasonably sure I just continued with a line of questioning. Maybe the moron was right in marking me last.

But really...what is patriotism?

Bal Thackarey thinks the Indian cricket team canceling its series against Australia in protest of the attacks on Indians in Australia is patriotism. There used to be a time when I was a fan of this man. Way back...back when India was afraid to make a statement he verbally attacked Pakistan and it brought great joy to me. He still makes those statements but he doesn't make much sense anymore about pretty much anything.

CPM thinks abandoning all relationships with the US is patriotism. We are "selling our motherland" is what they claim. It is funny how the communists in India make that claim considering they sold our country to Russia during the 70s and the 80s. Shewt!! Even the communists aren't really communists here. Congress made sure the communists didn't feel left out by joining the clearance sale.

A 23 year old IT professional thinks staying in India and not pursuing high-paying jobs in the US is patriotism. I got news for him...the high-paying jobs there...are not easy to come by and even if they do, you will end up spending the "high salary" pursuing the American dream. Maybe for some it is a "sacrifice" staying back in India but in many cases if not most, it is just a smarter choice.

Thankfully, I do not have to answer that question...definitely not in 3 minutes without taking a break.

Patriotism is an idea. And like all ideas each person understands it differently. I do not wear Pakistan-made anything and while I take some pride in making that claim that is probably not patriotism. I wear a T-shirt with the Indian tri-colors but that doesn't really prove anything. Most people don't even get it and I have to explain it.

IMHO, billion or more people coming together for any cause is patriotism. Our ability to maintain a democratic government all these years is patriotism. Our ability to co-exist with different languages and religions is patriotism. Our ability to cheer for 1 national cricket team is patriotism. Unfortunately, the same billion people come together for corruption, communal riots, casteism, regionalism and a lot more. India has always been too diverse and ruled by so many different people. Maybe our country hasn't matured enough. It would take another 500 years before state lines will disappear. People would have inter-married so much that there would be no real tamilian or malayalee. And that time maybe the only identity they can claim would be Indian. Perhaps at that time patriotism will not be an idea...maybe it will be a way of life.

Jai Hind!

No comments: