Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thanal

"Five days old", the guy says. Unprompted he repeats, "five days old". All those insignificant things I have been stressed out all my life just washed away seeing this five-day old baby sleeping on its side, fists clutched. Yes, there is sorrow in this world. Plenty of it. And unfortunately, the most helpless among us, the children, get most of it.

I visited a nearby orphanage today, Thanal. It was quiet as we walked in...the kids were in class. We sat down in the office and took care of some stuff. While waiting in the room few kids peeped through the windows and smiled. I smiled back. I was getting ready to leave when the guy in the office said we should walk over to the baby section. He leads me into this two-room building and as soon as he opens the door a toddler runs up to the door and looks outside and starts laughing. You cannot fake innocence...oh no you cannot. As I proceed into the room I see few more toddlers inside most of them just standing and looking at me. He introduces me to an old woman as the person who takes care of the kids. She folds her hand and says "Namaste". She steps aside and there is this little baby sleeping on its side. Thick dark hair...and it had the newborn-like cheeks. The baby looked so precious. "Five days old", the guy says and repeats himself. Tears filled my eyes. I wasn't sure how to react. I wanted to ask the baby's name. If it was a boy or a girl. How the baby got here. No, I couldn't. I just stood there and looked at the baby. A horde of emotions took over me. Mostly helplessness. I felt completely helpless standing there and looking at this five day old baby. Every few seconds I glanced at the other toddlers and they were looking back at me as well.

I gave the old woman and her helper some money and walked out. Few hours have passed since but I am unable to shake this image. Earlier today my wife and I had an argument regarding which mode of transport we should take from my in-laws to my home. I feel like a complete idiot now. In the face of everything those kids are facing and are going to face, my issues are trivial if not non-issues. I keep complaining about the little uncertainties in my life. Today I saw what uncertainty means.

I pray that those kids find all the strength and happiness from anywhere and everywhere...

Oh and we tossed away from our argument from earlier. We are taking the train back. Yes, it was a non-issue...

No comments: