Friday, July 06, 2007

frustrated...

I have always wondered why Africa along with poverty, famine, civil war, dictatorship was the front runner in the AIDS epidemic too. Want to know the popular belief? I don’t think there is one. Apart from the philanthropist and charity organizations, I don’t think any of us think about Africa and its problems. It is a forgotten continent and most of us don’t want to think about their problems least of all deal with them. I just finished reading “The invisible cure” by Helen Epstein. I am not sure if experts of Africa would be impressed but I liked the book. It was written by someone who was out on the streets and villages of Africa and not by someone who spends 10 hours a day studying blood samples and plants in a clean room. Even I could tell the difference after reading blogs and articles online.

There are many things I learned about Africa and AIDS from this book.

I started writing this blog wanting to spit out the facts I read in this book, but my thoughts are wandering and I realize I cannot gather my thoughts and write about them! How many times in your life do you read a book and feel you have to do something about it? Well, I do many times but what have I done so far. Nothing. Apart from displaying my amateurish writing skills online, nothing! Am I frustrated? Yes, I am. Would I think about it next week? Probably not. I am not sure how others cope with this feeling. Should I rephrase? So I read a book, feel bad about the plight of others, think I should do something for them, and then just keep thinking. Move on to my next book and it is over. Am I just reading all these books to feel good about the facts that I can recall from them? Shame on me! I would rather not know about them than know about them and do nothing. This is pretty much free thought. I have written the last few times with absolutely no stops and pause and see what it produced? Frustration! Frustration that I don’t tell out, frustration I am ashamed of.

But there are people who are doing something about it - http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/rajan/AIDS-india/.

What am I going to do? I don’t know…If you have comments or suggestions please feel free.

1 comment:

Jai said...

The first thing I have to say after reading your blog is that you are not alone in your frustration. There many like you (me included) who want to do something, or at least think that they should do something, but never get to doing it. Why, you ask? Well, I don't know the best answer, but I can think of a few, which apply in my case.

Firstly, we get so immersed in our day-to-day lives, that by the end of the day when we get over it, we’re thinking about the next day and how we will survive it. It’s a vicious never ending cycle.

Secondly, if we have to do something about such issues, we have to take a back seat in our own personal lives at least for a short duration. And that becomes tough after a while unless your family supports you whole heartedly.

Finally, its not that we don’t mean to do something, but when you live your regular life where you have sufficient, and then read about other people in other places that are barely surviving life, and don’t have the means or the opportunity to improve it, you feel guilty about yourself. That’s when the impulse of doing something arises in us. Sorry, for the long response, but I guess I’m frustrated too.