Tuesday, January 02, 2007

India 2006 continued

This is the latest response I got for my question - "The boom in the civilian-commercial aircraft sector in India also crossed my mind. The nuclear deal with US...and of course, Shashi Tharoor....Another thought (somewhat related) is that when I saw the huge number of Indians here now in US- most of them so professional and so well qualified, I wondered what India would be if all their expertise were put to use to benefit our country and what will it take to do that and why that is not the case!!!!"

I like the way this person thinks. Interesting question towards the end. Watched the movie swades? There are quite a few good quotes/observations. One among them is this - "apne aangan ka diya giving light to neighbour's house". Pretty self-explainatory.

Here are my thoughts about the last response - It doesn't cover every angle but it is something that has been on my mind for a while.
I think
there are benefits from people going abroad and working hard and providing for their families. We want to be a country willing to learn and grasp everything good out there. People who study and work here learn to be more courteous, tolerant, result oriented and ambitious. We need to take those values back. I think people who wish to do good and bring changes in out country should do it. Waiting for a revolution will take ages. If you think you can make a difference, well you should make a difference. (I guess I am digressing a bit)

One of the other scenes I liked in the movie Swades was when the village heads tell that no matter what India is the best because we have sanskar and parampara. This scene really stays in my mind after my last visit to India. I was caught in a oldies discussion. At my wife's place. Her dad and his friends were talking about politics, home and abroad. Towards the end of a long discussion of how bad India's roads are, hospitals are etc etc, one of them said - "no matter what India is the best because we got great culture and values and we respect our parents. In America kids throw parents out of the house". This caught my attention. It was jtust like the movie. People want to stay in denial. Hold on to their false ego. Of course I am no shah rukh khan to rebel against those oldies and lecture them. (And besides I was at my in-laws place). But that has to be changed. We need to understand that we can improve. Don't say everything is bad but don't say no matter what we are the best either. I think the newer generation who are here are best equipped to change that attitude. We as a country should realize that we can improve before starting to do anything. Accepting that we have culture and values but lack in many others things is the first step. We have potential but need to accept that we have weaknesses and are willing to improve.
That is what professional and well qualified people who live and work outside the country can do for India.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.